CrochetedintheRaine

https://www.etsy.com/shop/CrochetedintheRaine?ref=l2-shopheader-name

Come check out my shop on etsy!
I love to crochet projects for friends and family and finally got brave enough to sell them.
If you have any questions about it, let me know!

Wednesday, March 20, 2013

Bunny cake...FAIL

So my bunny cake didn't even turn out to be a bunny cake sadly :( It ended up turning into what I wanted and I got impatient and therefore, no bunny cake...

So here was to original idea that I wanted to do...

And this is what ended up happening as the end result....




 Yea...not even CLOSE to a bunny or anything..... Just a spiky weird design cake.........

So here is the pin source for the original idea
To begin:
I needed to have a buttercream frosting so that I could decorate the cake since I had no way to get to the store.
Here is the pin source for buttercream frosting.
So I began pipping in a very simple manor.  I took my time and was excited because I was thinking that after I had layered my cake that I didn't make it tall enough.  Well I figured that I could pipe the "fur" of the rabbit and that the entire cake would look like a rabbit instead of a stump with rabbit feet.

So to explain I did it in these steps:
*I forgot to post the cake I made but it was made from a store bought cake mix that I made in two round cake pans

step 1:

I followed the recipe from the buttercream recipe I found on pinterest and made it like so.  It makes A LOT of frosting so it would be good to make if you want to store some for later.  



Step 2: I took a zip lock bag and a pipping tip and put that in the corner of the bag.

 Step 3: I then filled the bag and then closed it off so looked like so.


As you can see here I began to do it in neat pipping and pretty consistent with the amount I was putting on as well.
I felt like a pro as I carefully placed each bit of frosting. (thanks cake boss for the visual aid!)

As you can see here, there are a DOZEN different types of designs on the cake because I did't realize how long it would take to pipe.  I have to hand it to decorators.  I am definitely not meant for a bakery job in the future.

So i couldn't change what I had put on the cake so I just smoothed the whole thing out.  Pretty much gave up on making the whole cake a bunny.  So i decided to go with plan b.
Which was to then make a bunny out of frosting.
I used marshmellows as a base for the bunny because I thought it would look cool once I put frosting on top of it.
I didn't take a picture because it just looked like one giant blob of chunky frosting.
I had gotten creative before and thought that green sprinkles would be the grass.....until that idea didn't work because there was no rabbit on the grass. So it got smoothed out into the frosting. Now giving the frosting a crunch.

So in the end.....
this is what my cake turned out to be.


I just took a metal spatula and flipped the frosting upwards to create the frosting this way.
So maybe I'll try this cake again in April and have better luck next time......


No comments:

Post a Comment